By Damilola Faustino
Superstition is not restricted to a particular culture or people. It cuts across the world. Although Africans are considered very superstitious, Europeans and Americans are no different.
So, when you hear of Friday the 13th, there is a superstition that cuts across the world connected to this date. It one of the popular superstitious beliefs whose origin cannot be traced to Africa. The reason why the date is popular is that it is considered by many as the unluckiest day of the year due to some of the things that have happen on this date. And since today is Friday the 13th, we share 13 things you did not know about the day some people see as unlucky! Enjoy!
1. There is at least one Friday 13th every year, but there can be up to three.
2. One theory of the superstition’s origin is that it stems from Jesus dying on a Friday, and Judas Iscariot being the 13th member of the Last Supper.
3. The fear of the number 13 is called triskaidekaphobia, and the fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia.
4. High rise buildings, hotels, and hospitals often skip the 13th floor and many airports do not have gates numbered 13
5. The cruise liner Costa Concordia ran aground on Friday, 13th January 2012.
6. Many people refuse to fly on Friday the 13th leading to the loss of big money to companies especially airlines.
7. The exact origins of the superstition are unclear but some historians speculate it is a combination of two superstitions: Friday is an unlucky day and 13 is an unlucky number.
8. Pop star Taylor Swift has declared 13 her lucky number, because she was born on 13th of December, turned 13 on Friday 13th, and her first album went gold in just 13 weeks.
9. Fidel Castro was born on Friday the 13th. Castro was a Cuban communist revolutionary and politician who governed the Republic of Cuba as Prime Minister from 1959 to 1976 and then as President from 1976 to 2008.
10. Friday being an unlucky day may have been strengthened by it being the day of execution of criminals, otherwise called Hangman’s Day – many moons ago. Add 13 to a Friday and it’s a scary thought for some.
11. Some Hindus consider the number 13 bad luck and still believe it is unlucky for 13 people to gather in one place, at one time. So when Friday the 13th comes around, there are many who stay at home, not to encounter danger.
12. Paramount Pictures produced 12 Friday the 13th films earning over 900 million dollars at the box office.
13. The good news is Friday 13th is the cheapest day to fly in the UK, and many other countries because many won’t fly on the day which drives prices down.
Comments are visible after approval