As a fashion-forward girl, it is important to know the difference between trends and staples. Staples are those basic essentials that you need to build your wardrobe around. When you have a closet full of trendy outfits, you end up in that dreaded ‘nothing to wear state’ even though you have a trunk load of clothes in there.
Keep reading to find out those essentials you need to build your wardrobe staples:
- A CASHMERE CREW NECK SWEATER: A cashmere sweater is great with jeans and just about anything else. Find one in solid colors like White, black or the grey one below.
2. A STURDY JACKET: Preferably one made of denim, a basic denim jacket, no fraying, should be a day time standard.
3. BLACK SINGLE-SOLE HEELS: They are professional and command respect when paired with corporate wear and they look hot when paired with casual wear.
4. DELICATE FINE JEWELLERY: You own your share of statement jewellery, but a gold necklace with a pave pendant is the kind of thing you can wear every day for the rest of your life.
5. THE PERFECT BLAZER: Even if you don’t work in a prim and proper office, every woman should have at least one blazer that is a flattering to her silhouette. If it doesn’t fit right off the bat, this is where your trusted tailor comes in. Shoulders and the sleeves that aren’t too big and long are key.
6. A SILK SCARF:A silk scarf is a chic accessory that instantly upgrades an outfit. Try and find one that is 100% silk as the breathable fabric will keep you warm during the winter, but is cool enough to wear through the summer.
7. THAT PERFECT PAIR OF JEANS: Of all these wardrobe staple, this is one you can’t pass up. Whether they are flared, cropped, or skinny, every woman needs a pair of jeans that makes their butt look good. Instant mood-booster!
8. A CARRYALL TOTE BAG: This bag should be large enough to carry your essentials and sturdy enough for everyday wear and tear. Totes are amazing and can handle that heavy-as-a-brick laptop you’ve carried around for a decade.
9. A TURTLENECK: We know we obsess over the magical versatility of a turtleneck, but it is with good reason. Get one in a ribbed fabric for an added touch of casual luxe.
10. A GOOD PAIR OF SUNGLASSES: When you invest in a pair of prime sunglasses, the likelihood of you forgetting them at brunch decreases significantly.
11. A WHITE BUTTON UP BLOUSE: A slinky blouse is perfect for days when you’re feeling bloated but still want to look put-together. They can be dressed up or dressed down depending on the mood.
12. THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS: The little black dress is a no-brainer wardrobe staples basic, so we’ll just let this asymmetrical dress by Whistles do the talking.
13. THE MIDI SKIRT: This might seem like much, but the cut of the midi skirt is a classic. Find one that fits snug at the hips and flares at the knees, giving you a subtle vavavoom silhouette that is still appropriate for the workplace.
14. WHITE SNEAKERS: We love a good running shoe, but classic white kicks are a casual basic that will go with everything from cropped slacks to a Little Black Dress. A wardrobe staples yes!
Written By: Ugochi Obiajunwa