Andy Ruiz Jr shocked everyone when he put the boot into Anthony Joshua, ridding him of his IBF, WBO and WBA world heavyweight titles.
The loss cost Joshua his first loss in pro career.
In a truly remarkable fight at New York’s Madison Square Garden, Ruiz floored Joshua four times en route to a seventh-round stoppage.
Joshua was a 1-25 favourite with bookmakers, with 22 wins – 21 by knockout – going into the fight and making him seem invincible.
He will now join the likes of Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson as dominant champions to suffer losses which brought the sport to a standstill.
“I got beaten by a good fighter,” said 29-year-old Joshua. “It will be interesting to see how far he goes, but this is all part of the journey. He’s a champion for now, I shall return.”
Meanwhile, Twitter was quick to point out that the Drake curse has struck again!
Two months ago Joshua tweeted a picture with the Canadian rapper along with the caption: “Bout to break the curse.”
— Anthony Joshua (@anthonyfjoshua) March 21, 2019
The post was in reference to the ‘Drake Curse’, a phenomenon whereby any team or athlete Drake supports ends up losing a big event.
It emerged after his beloved Toronto Raptors NBA team earned a reputation for choking in big games in recent years. A number of US college teams he’s supported have also suffered major losses, and he appeared on stage with Conor McGregor prior to the UFC star’s defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov last year.
But, just as things were looking up for Drake after the Raptors won game one of the NBA finals over the Golden State Warriors, the curse reared it’s ugly head again.
Fans have been sure to let Joshua know, with his initial tweet, which started the night with just 19 replies, going viral.
“Drake really just ruined Anthony Joshua’s career,” said one fan.
“Y’all remember when Anthony Joshua said he was going to break the Drake curse? LMFAOOOOO,” another posted.
By Oluwatoyin Adeleye