Having long enough natural nails is important to some ladies. If this is your goal, when your nails become soft or brittle and break off easily, it becomes annoying. If you don’t take good care of your nails, this will not change. Improving your diet and moisturising will improve the appearance and health of your nails and here is how to go about it.
- Avoid nail polish remover with acetone- this is quite harsh on the nails. Use products that are kinder and milder on the nails, preferably what doesn’t contain the acetone.
- To protect your nails, always use gloves when you are using products that are harsh on the body (such as hair dyes, relaxer, bleach etc). These could damage your nails.
- To moisturise your nails and make them look beautiful, you have to have a healthy diet and drink water in sufficient amount. Your diet should be rich in vitamins by eating vegetables, fruits, fish, and meat. Also, consume a recommended 2 litres a day, and if you cannot drink it, you can also eat foods that contain large amounts of water.
- Using moisturising cream on your hands is essential to get your nails in perfect condition. Apply moisturisers that are rich in vitamins and other nutrients twice a day, morning and evening (before you go to sleep so it can penetrate the skin).
- If your nails have become dry and dehydrated, pour ¼ cup of olive oil into a cup and soak your nails in it for ten minutes. Repeat this for two weeks and ensure you don’t have nail polish on while you do this. If you do not have olive oil, you can use almond or coconut oil as alternatives.
These steps do not have to be left for the worst case scenario. Begin today to maintain healthy nails and prevent dry and breakable nails.
Written by Nkem Ikeh
Images: msmbox.com, multiculturalbeauty.about.com, womenstuff.co.za