If for the last five to ten years you have to change things now, it is high time that happened. A decade is a long time- too long for that kind of fashion commitment. Changing up your style is important to keep you fashionable and in tune with your inner youth. This will prevent you from looking older and more unflattering than your true age. Fear not! This process is not as intimidating as some people make it out to be. Here are a few things that you should keep in mind when cranking up your style.
- Make an inventory: This might sound very official but it just involves taking note of what you have and what you will like to have. most times, the new style won’t be too far off from what you already do but just a step higher. For instance, if you are usually a jeans and sneakers kind of person, cranking that up, it will be advisable to settle for style that is simple but not too laid back.
- Choose your new style: You should not impose a style on yourself that is doesn’t add to your overall personality. when choosing the style goal, be specific about what it is that you are looking to achieve. For example, sophisticated chic or modern punk amongst others.
- Think about practical considerations. In addition to thinking about how you want to look, think about how you need to look. Some questions to ask yourself:
- What’s your work environment? Are there any particular practical constraints on what you can permissibly wear?
- What’s your social environment? How will your style best complement your lifestyle?
- Where do you live? Do you want to fit in with or stand apart from your surroundings, and to what degree? Does one form of weather dominate, and will you style be workable in that weather?
- What’s your budget? Make sure your new style goal is realistic, otherwise you may find yourself frustrated and unable to achieve what you had in mind.
- How much time do you want to spend getting ready? If you’re a low-maintenance person by nature, choosing an elaborate style may not fit well with the kind of routine you’re comfortable with.
- Don’t be afraid to have an aspirational style–in other words, don’t be afraid to start dressing like the person you want to be–but also be realistic and choose a style that’s compatible with your personality.
- Observe Fashion: In achieving this completely, you have to become an observer of fashion. Look at other people and what they are wearing, the kinds of colours they mix, who shoes do they wear with their outfits and so on. when you train you eyes to recognise what is fashionable and looks great, you come better at picking the right pieces. Practice make better right?
- Get a mentor: Now, this doesn’t mean that you will get someone that tells you what to wear at what time, but a second opinion will help. however, this is more about imitation. You may have observed for a while but you still need a little bit of nudge and help to make you more confident. So, look for fashion bloggers or pages on instagram that you like, pick one outfit and copy it. Add your own touch to it and then you are good to go. Experimenting frequently is a good way to hone in your individual likes.
Keeping all these close to heart will really crank up your style sense and choice. also, always shop for diversity and versatile. The idea is to change your style and not add more to the already existing one. When shopping, make sure you stay away from items that resemble the ones you already have. Look for something complementary and different, so as to divulge from monotony.
Written by Nkem Ikeh
Image source: pinterest.com