On this new hilarious episode of Off The Menu, our fave, Niniola joins Soliat in the kitchen to cook some delicious traditional grilled fish and dun dun. If you’d like to try this out in your kitchen, check out the recipe below:
-1 Medium size Tilapia
-Olive or Vegetable Oil
-1 Inch Root Ginger
-2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme or 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
-2 Sprig Rosemary or 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Rosemary
-Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
-1 Teaspoon Lime Juice
-Red Bell Peppers
– Scotch Bonnets
-2 Tablespoons crushed Pepper Flakes
-A tuber of yam
-1 Cooking Spoon Palm Oil
-1/2 Cup Chicken/Beef Stock/Water
-3 Heaped Tablespoons Crayfish
-1 Handful Smoked Prawns
How To Prepare The Grilled Fish:
1. Firstly, clean the fish thoroughly, then make deep incisions on the fish to allow deep penetration of marinade.
2. Blend the Thyme, Rosemary, Cayenne Pepper, 3 Garlic, Cloves, 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice, 1/2 of the Ginger, 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil and half onion till smooth.
3. Add the Crushed Pepper Flakes and mix thoroughly.
4. Rub the half of the marinade on the fish and in the incisions and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours.
5. While it’s marinating, add the Bell Pepper, Scotch Bonnet, the rest of the Garlic and Ginger into a blender and blend roughly.
6. Then pour 1 cooking spoon oil into a pan, when it’s hot, add 1/2 chopped onion, sauté till fragrant, then add the blended mix, Maggi cubes and salt to taste.
7. Fry for 15 minutes on low heat, the oil will settle on the top, discard the excess oil. You need the oil to enable the sauce fry deeply.
8. When the fish is done marinating, place in your oven on grill settings, 180 degrees Celsius, and grill for 5 minutes.
9. After 5 minutes, baste the Fish with the Fried Pepper Sauce. Stuff some of the mix into the incisions as well. Then transfer back into the in a preheated oven, grill for 30-40 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked.
10. Remember to turn the fish over during the grilling process to enable even heat distribution. Also, baste with some more pepper sauce.
It’s ready when it’s fully cooked on both sides. Serve with the rest of the fried pepper sauce
How To Prepare Dun Dun:
1. Start by peeling, rinsing and slicing your yam into small chunks, preferably rectangular chunks.
2. Then place them in a deep bowl, add water to cover and salt to taste. Soak the yam in the saltwater for 2 minutes, discard the water thereafter.
3. Get a pot, or any slightly deep pan, place it on the stove on low to medium heat, add the vegetable oil into it. When the oil is hot, carefully add the yam along with the water.
4. You must add water to the oil because the water cooks the yam first before it’s fried. This is particularly important otherwise the yam won’t cook properly.
5. Fry the yam on all sides until crisp or slightly browned.
How To Make The Peppered Sauce
1. Place a saucepan on the stove on medium heat and add the palm oil, when it’s hot, add in the onions and stir for 2 minutes.
2. Now add the cray fish and smoked prawns, stir for two minutes.
3. Add the blended pepper, Maggi cubes, and chicken seasoning, leave to fry for 10 minutes. Remember to stir every now and then to prevent burning.
4. Add a bit of stock water, stir and continue to fry for 2-3 minutes or till the stock dries up a bit. (you can add a bit of mackerel fish if you like)
By: Dammy Eneli