Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for COVID-19 and will therefore miss the Sakhir Grand Prix, which is set to hold on Sunday December 6.
Mercedes, his team said Hamilton woke up with mild symptoms on Monday and returned a positive result at a subsequent test and again at a retest. Hamilton, who has already secured a record-equalling seventh world title and won Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix, is now self-isolating.
“Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing programme,” they announced.
“However he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive. Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest.”
Hamilton later took to social media to express his disappointment, saying he was “devastated” to miss the first race of his F1 career. He urged people to stay safe and he said he was following safety protocols.
This will be the first race Hamilton has not started since his debut in 2007, and brings and an end to a run of 265 consecutive Grand Prix, the longest in the sport, and a record of scoring points in 28 consecutive races, cementing his place as the greatest F1 Driver in history.
By Muyiwa aguda