In what has been a stellar year for him, Real Madrid and Croatia midfielder Luka Modric has won the 2018 Ballon d’Or, becoming the first player other than Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo to claim the award in more than a decade.
The last player to win it outside Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi, was Kaka in 2007.
The 33-year old had a fine year, winning the champions league with Real Madrid and getting to the final of the World Cup with Croatia.
Ronaldo, who was absent from the ceremony, came second while Atletico Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann came third.
Messi for the first time in 10 years finished outside the third year as he was placed fifth.
Meanwhile, Lyon and Norway striker Ada Hegerberg won the inaugural Women’s Ballon d’Or while PSG’s Mbappe won the inaugural Kopa Trophy (the Under 21 version)
This was how the top 10 stood according to votes:
- Luka Modric (Real Madrid and Croatia)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus and Portugal)
- Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid and France)
- Kylian Mbappe (Paris St-Germain and France)
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina)
- Mohamed Salah (Liverpool and Egypt)
- Raphael Varane (Real Madrid and France)
- Eden Hazard (Chelsea and Belgium)
- Kevin de Bruyne (Manchester City and Belgium)
- Harry Kane (Tottenham and England)
By Chineze Ogugua
Read also: Court Rejects Perjury Charge Aginst Modric
Comments are visible after approval