On this week’s episode of ‘Off the Menu’, our favourite chef, Soliat hosts MTV Base’s VJ, Ehiz aka Special Slim in the kitchen as they show us how to make some delicious Ofada rice.
Check out the recipe below.
- 2 Green Peppers (chopped)
- Ponmo (diced)
- 7 maggie cubes
- 5 eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- Ofada rice
- Plantain (diced)
- 1 tbsp. Iru (Locust Beans)
- Heat up water in a pot until it boils.
- Rinse rice thoroughly with cold running water and add to pot of boiling water. Add salt and oil.
- Cook for 35 minutes or until it’s ready.
- Blend the green pepper (tatashe), hot peppers and onions. Place in a pot and boil for 15 minutes.
- Add your ponmo, beef, maggi, salt and onions to a pot of boiling water.
- Heat up a pot and add palm oil. Allow to bleach for 10 minutes – This means leaving it to heat up and smoke till it is almost similar to vegetable oil. After 10 minutes allow to cool a bit.
- Add your ponmo, and beef to the oil and fry till brown.
- After you’ve taken out the meat add the remaining oil to the boiled tomato/pepper mixture.
- Add iru (locust beans). Cover and allow to cook till oil floats to the top.
- Add chicken stock, taste and add seasoning cube if necessary. Now you may add the cooked chicken.
- Allow the ingredients to cook for 5 more minutes and simmer.
Now get yourself a banana leaf, and serve up some sweet ofada rice and stew with a side of plantain.