Why didn’t I play football? In my next life, I have to be a footballer. The amount these players are earning is mind blowing. Check out the list of the highest-paid footballers in the world. Surprisingly, China owns the title of being the country doling out the most amount, as they have four players:
- Carlos Tevez (Shanghai Shenhua) – £615,000/week
Argentine footballer Carlos Tevez is the highest paid player in the world. The 33-year-old played for Boca Juniors before a lucrative offer made him join Chinese Super League side Shanghai Shenhua.
- Oscar (Shanghai SIPG) & Ezequiel Lavezzi (Hebei China Fortune) – £400,000/week
Oscar and Lavezzi are combined second with £400,000 weekly. Oscar, who couldn’t tie down a shirt at Chelsea, played for Shanghai SIPG; while Lavezzi is with Hebei China Fortune.
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) £365,000/week (after tax)
This Real Madrid man masks £36,000 every week after tax. It is wow! Many would have expected that he will be the highest paid player, with all his skills and fame, but he cannot complain with his current pay either.
- Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) £350,000/week (after tax)
Formerly the most expensive player in the world, he is number 4 on the list. He recently signed a new improved deal that keeps him at the Santiago Bernabeu until 2022.
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona) £336,000/week (after tax)
Arguably one of the most talented players in the world, Lionel Messi earns £336,000 every week.
- Hulk (Shanghai SIPG) – £320,000/week
The former Zenit St. Petersburg man also became one of the highest-paid footballers in the world after an unbelievable Asian record of €55.8 million transfer to Chinese Super League giants, Shanghai SIPG.
- Paul Pogba (Manchester United) – £292,000/week
Paul Pogba became the world’s most expensive transfer when he made a stunning £89 million transfer from Juventus to Manchester United. Of course, he has to be on the list.
- Graziano Pelle (Shandong Luneng) – £290,000/week
Pelle earns an eye-popping £290,000/week. He has scored 5 goals and provided 2 assists in the 13 league games he has played so far. He plays for Shandong Luneng.
- Neymar (Barcelona) – £275,000/week
Another prolific Barcelona player, the 24-year-old is expected to replace Messi someday. He earns £275,000/week before tax.
- Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) – £260,000/week
Manchester United midfielder, Wayne Rooney is paid £260,000 every week.
Written by Damilola Faustino