An itchy scalp can be annoying and pretty embarrassing at times but the good thing about it is that it’s curable. Dandruff is a scalp condition that produces white flakes that may be shed and fall from the hair. One cause of dandruff is overworking of the sebaceous glands. The white flaky scalp and itching sensation that comes with dandruff is definitely not something you would want. If you are suffering from dandruff, I have good news for you! Now, what you need to take care of is stopping them from increasing further.
Dandruff can be caused by several reasons and these include:
- Dryness of the scalp
- Infrequent shampooing
- Yeasts like fungus
The above-mentioned reasons can give rise to those little white flakes called dandruff. It may hamper your self-esteem if remained untreated for long. Why wait, when you have simple home-made remedies for the rescue.
It’s essential to identify the different types of dandruff out there before we delve into knowing how to get rid of them. Different types of dandruff have different remedies. So, it’s important to understand first its type and cause to get the right treatment done. It will help you avoid different trial and error methods which can cause further damage to your scalp and hair.
Different Types of White Large Dandruff Flakes
- Dry Skin Related Dandruff:
Dandruff caused due to dry skin is one of the most common types. Mostly during winters, washing your hair with warm hair tends to make it dry and flaky.
- Oil Related Dandruff:
The next common cause is of sebum oil secreted from your scalp. Improper or irregular shampooing habits often lead to this type. If your hair and scalp is not clean, the sebum/skin oil combines with all the dead skin cells and dirt forming itchy flakes.
- Fungal Dandruff:
Malassezia, a fungus, is naturally found on the skin and scalp. Normally, this fungus has limited growth. But, excessive oil on the scalp serves as food for this fungus, thus helping them grow immensely. This fungus produces oleic acid as a metabolic by-product. This oleic acid in turn produces an increased turnover of skin cells, causing unwanted white flakes.
- Disease Related Dandruff:
Serious causes may include infections related to the scalp. For instance, PSORIASIS CAUSES excessive production of skin cells on the scalp. This leads to scaly skin. They shed and combine with dirt and sebum oil causing dandruff. Similarly, eczema also causes the skin to become itchy and flaky.
5. Steps towards Healthy Hair & Scalp
Treatment from hair professionals may certainly give you great results but how about some simple home remedies for dandruff? You might just get the same great results without spending that extra penny!
Let’s try some simple home-made remedies to brush off those stubborn large flakes of dandruff.
- Fresh lime juice (a teaspoon) for the last rinse while washing your hair can do wonders.
- Apply a paste of fuller’s earth and lemon juice onto the scalp once a week.
- Massaging the scalp with curd for about half an hour prior to washing is also known to be an effective measure. You can make it even more effective by keeping the curd in open for at least 3 days.
- Mix cider vinegar with water in equal quantities. Rub it gently onto your scalp before washing hair. This can knock off the dandruff very effectively.
- Proper hygiene practices such as proper and regular washing of hair and keeping the scalp clean is the best way to fight dandruff
Written By Ugochi Obiajunwa