A failed female suicide bomber has told the Nigerian soldiers attached to “Operation Lafiya Dole” in the northeast on Thursday that prior to the attempted bombing she was an abducted victim of the Boko Haram sect.
The news report says the female suicide bomber had been strapped with a suicide vest and let loose into a crowded neighbourhood in downtown Rann by the insurgents at about 10:30 a.m.
It was also reported that it took the intervention and the effort of a member of the Civilian Joint Task Force working with the Nigerian soldiers, to divert what ordinarily could have been a another national mourning.
It is reported that the member of the JTF who saved the day, “dived and held” the female suicide bomber and prevented her from detonating the explosives.
The vest was removed from her. She told the troops that she was kidnapped by insurgents on her way to Gamboru town when she was abducted by Boko Haram.
Rann is in Kala Balge Local Government Area of Born State which is about 170 kilometres northeast of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
It was further reported that the authorities were conducting further investigations into to the incident.
Written by Okolo Ezinne