If you’re a. Nigerian; and b. Alive, then you’ve probably heard the name Chierika Ukogu in the past few days. Or at the very least you’ve heard that for the very first time ever, there’s a Nigerian competing in the Rowing category at this years Olympics. And what’s extra awesome is that she isn’t just competing oh- she’s actually kicking butt! She’s made it to the semi finals and dare we say, it’s looking very likely that she’s going to bring us home a medal.
All of this is why the stunning Chierika Ukogu is today’s Woman Crush Wednesday. Here are 10 fun facts, you probably didn’t know about her:
1. She was born in October 2nd, 1992.
2. She was born in north east Philadelphia, USA.
3. Her nickname is “Coco”
4. She began her rowing career in 2012.
5. Before the Olympics, she rowed for Mount St. Joseph and Stanford University.
6. She is currently enrolled at Stanford University and took a year off to focus on the Olympics.
7. She is the first Nigerian to ever compete in the rowing event.
8. She is also the first Nigerian to make it to the semi-final of the rowing event.
9. She found her way to the Olympics all by herself, gathering funds through GoFundMe to make it to Rio.
10. She qualified for the Olympics in October 2015 at the African Olympic Qualification Regatta in Tunisia.
Well done Chierika, we are so proud of you and Accelerate is rooting for you!