so you are interested in make-up, make-overs and beauty in general? You want to pursue a career in that field? Turn your hobby/passion into a thriving business? This is a piece worth reading.
Talk about a trendsetter! Tara Fela-Durotoye has blazed a trail for others to follow. Tara is the Managing Director and Creative Director of House Of Tara International, a leading player in the make-up sector of Nigeria’s beauty industry which she founded at the age of 20 whilst an undergraduate.
Her life story is indeed phenomenal, hence she’s our Woman Crush Wednesday feature. Here are a few facts about her you probably never knew;
1. Tara Fela-Durotoye, born 6 March 1977 to the family of John Ejegi Sagay and Felicia Omaghomi. She is a pioneer in the bridal makeup profession in Nigeria and a seasoned lawyer. She launched the first bridal directory in 1999 and established the first makeup school in Nigeria.
2. Tara began her education at Command Children School, Victoria Island and proceeded to Nigeria Navy Secondary School, Ojo. She graduated from the Lagos State University, with a degree in Law and proceeded to establish the House of Tara International.
3. She is married to Fela Durotoye, a business strategist and corporate activator, chief executive officer of Visible Impact. They have three sons, Mobolurin, Demilade & Morolaoluwa.
4. In 2000, Tara facilitated the first-ever series of Bridal seminars, drawing for the first time-ever in Nigeria celebrated professionals in the bridal industry to speak to brides. In 2008, she launched her first perfume fragrance, “Be Inspired”.
5. Through her Make-up school, Tara has developed and trained about 300 make-up artists who have gone on to establish their own budding outfits.
6. House of Tara today has franchises spread across Nigeria (branches in Lagos, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt and Abuja) and with emerging footprints on the West African coast in Benin, Ghana and Senegal.
7. Tara was also the brain behind the 2014 Makeup in Nigeria Conference (MINC), the first ever gathering of makeup professionals in Nigeria.
8. Recognition has not been slow in coming – in 2013, she was listed as one of 20 Young Power Women in Africa by Forbes with the World Economic Forum also naming her as a Young Global Leader.
9. Some of her awards and accolades include Entrepreneur of the Year (The Future Awards), Young Person of the Year 2007 (The Future Awards), Best Makeup Artist (Fashion and Style magazine), Award for Excellence in the Beauty Sector 2006(City People magazine) etc.
10. Her life’s work has been profiled on several international platforms including New York Forum Africa (NYFA), France24, Africa24 by Reuters, Bloomberg and CNN’s African Voices.
11. Her autobiography, “the Tara Durotoye Story” has been published, and it chronicles her life’s journey, and reveals the person behind the enterprise.
Let her success inspire and remind you that ain’t no mountain high enough.