FA rejects appeal, Aguero to miss Manchester Derby
Manchester City will have to do without the services of Segio Aguero for the upcoming derby, after the Football Association (FA) rejected an appeal for the forward on Friday.
The Argentine will now serve a three match ban for a violent challenge on West Ham’s Wiston Reid in their last Premier League fixture, which they won by 3-1.
Manchester City had been hopeful about the appeal, as they prepared for their trip to old Trafford but the FA rejected the appeal and this will keep Aguero from featuring in City’s next three matches.
Pep Guardiola’s men will play against Manchester United on their turf on Septemeber 10. It promises to be a thrilling match as both teams look to maintain their 100 percent start to the season, in the battle for the top spot on the EPL table.
Iheanacho makes Manchester City Champions League squad
Kelechi Iheanacho has been included in Manchester City’s champions league squad after an impressive start to the season.
The youngster, who has impressed Pep Guardiola, has been in top form this season, coming off the bench to score goal after goal.
Côte D’Ivoire’s Yaya Toure, who seems to have fallen out of favor at the club, was snubbed from the squad and will not feature for the Citizens in their champions league campaign.
Manchester City face the top task of making it out of Group C as they play against Barcelona, Borussia Mochengladbach and Celtic.
Full Champions League Squad
Goalkeepers: Claudio Bravo, Willy Caballero
Defenders: Bacary Sagna, Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, Aleksandar Kolarov, Gael Clichy, John Stones, Nicolas Otamendi
Midfielders: Fernando, Raheem Sterling, Ilkay Gundogan, Jesus Navas, Kevin De Bruyne, Fabian Delph, Leroy Sane, David Silva, Fernandinho
Attackers: Nolito, Sergio Aguero, Kelechi Iheanacho
Messi to sign new Barcelona contract
Barcelona’s Sports director Robert Fernandez, has revealed that Catalans star Lionel Messi will be signing a new contract with the club soon.
Messi still has two years left on this current contract but that doesn’t stop Barcelona from making moves to keep him at the club a lot longer, especially after they just extended the contract of his teammate Neymar.Jr.
Though a new contract is on the table, the deal is far from finalized, though Fernandez is confident that both parties will come to an agreement soon.
“This year there are a number of situations we need to solve,” Fernandez told Sport. “As was the case with Rafinha, [Sergio] Busquets, Neymar and [Javier] Mascherano, people said we wouldn’t reach an agreement, but in the end there were no problems.”
“I’m delighted that he’s the No 1 in the world and that he’s with us. We will reach an agreement. I’m totally convinced. There’s no rush. This season we will reach an agreement. Like we did with Rafinha, Mascherano, Busi and Neymar.”
It is likely that Barcelona will offer Messi a new five year deal. With his current contract running out in 2018, this means he remain at Camp Nou until 2013.
Written by Doyinsola Olaniyan
Accelerate stays giving you sports news every day so be sure to check back tomorrow!